To start using this instrument you need to include it in the library, you can do this in the Preferences & Miscellaneous.
This is a interface for the Roland JP-08 synthesiser. It sends MIDI out and receives audio back which makes the JP-08 act as if it was an internal instrument local to LNX. All of the controls of the JP-08 are here and changes to them can be both sent and received. This means any control can use Automation and store changes in Presets & Programs. There is a piano roll for sequencing and a MIDI clock to synchronise the on board sequencer. All of the presets stored on JP-08 can be imported and modified. There is also a program tab for easy browsing of these presets.
This help file is here to get your JP-08 working in LNX_Studio and not as a tutorial on how to use the JP-08.
- Synth tab - opens the synth controls of the JP-08.
- Piano Roll tab- See the Piano Rolls help file.
- Prg tab - opens the programs tab which is used to manage the presets of the JP-8.
- On/Off &Solo - turns the JP-08 On/Off or solos it.
- Off behaviour - tell the JP-08 what to do when its turned off.
- Audio In - turns the audio off but leaves the piano roll playing.
- Sequencer - turns the piano roll off but leaves the audio playing.
- Both - turns both the audio and the piano roll off.
- Audio In channel - this sets where the audio for this JP-08 is coming from. (i.e which audio bus). Inputs always come in stereo pairs but individual channels can be chosen in the channel setup. You don't need to have the audio coming back into LNX to control the JP-08.
- Channel setup - can be Left & Right, Left + Right, Left or Right or No Audio depending on your needs.
- MIDI - opens a window to select the MIDI in & out channels + ports. See MIDI Devices & Controls. There is an additional System In port for the JP-08. This is used to update the controls in LNX when they are changed on the JP-08. This needs to come from the MIDI Out port on the back on the JP-08 (not the USB port). Also the device needs to be in chain mode. You can turn on chain mode by pressing [MANUAL] +  followed by  On. Refer to the Roland manual if you are not sure how to do this.
- Cntrl - opens the MIDI Control editor and allows you to edit the MIDI controls you set up on the JP-08. See MIDI Devices & Controls.
- Master Audio send channel - this sets where the audio effect send of the JP-08 is going. (i.e which audio output bus or which effect bus)
- Master Audio out channel - this sets where the audio output of the JP-08 is going. (i.e which audio out bus or which effect bus)
- Synth Controls - has all of the controls of the JP-08. When changed here it will change them on the JP-08. Any control can use Automation and store their changes in Presets & Programs.
- JP-08 Program - the current program selected on the JP-08.
- Program- saves the current JP-08 MIDI program change with the LNX preset. When the LNX preset is recalled it changes in on the JP-08.
- Controls - saves the MIDI cc controls with a preset. When the preset is recalled any changing cc values are sent out.
- MIDI Clock - turns the MIDI clock on and off. Normally MIDI clocks only work if they have been playing since the start of a song. If you are turning this on you may need to press stop and then play to get it working.
- Preset Manager - Add, remove or select presets, see Presets & Programs.
You can play the keyboard with either the mouse or the QWERTY keyboard. See Keyboard GUI.
In order for LNX to know what position the controls are in when a new preset is loaded on the JP-08 we need to import them from the JP-08. If you like, you can keep all of the factory presents that came with the JP-08 on the JP-08 and keep any you make yourself within an LNX project. This allows you to have as many presets as you like without having to worry about using space up on the JP-08. To do this attach the JP-08 via the USB port to your computer. [Power On] the JP-08 with the [PATCH 2] button pressed. This attaches the JP-08 as an external device similar to that of an external drive. Press the [IMPORT] button in the Program Tab in LNX (below). When the file dialog opens select all files in the directory JP-08/BACKUP. Once opened it will synchronise all presets in LNX with those on the JP-08.
This page lets you easily browse the presets on the JP-08. Just click the preset name and it will open on the JP-08. When the [S] button on the top left is off it lets you edit the name of the presets in LNX or select them when on.
Net - allows anything being played on the keboard to be networked and played on every computer in a colaboration, including MIDI In note events.